Phone 0800 030 4391
- AIR TIGHTNESS CONSULTANCY & TESTING
- ENERGY, SAP, EPC, DEC & SBEM
- BREEAM & CODE FOR SUSTAINABLE HOMES
- ACOUSTIC CONSULTANCY & TESTING
- AIR SEALING & FIRE STOPPING
- THE COMPLETE PACKAGE
- Air Sealing & Fire Stopping SUMMARY
- Air Sealing & Fire Stopping Homepage
- Case Studies
- Air Sealing - How to Identify a Competent Contractor
- Commerical Benefits of a Well Air Sealed Building
- Theory of Air Tightness, Air Leakage & Air Sealing Measures
- Information for the Client
- Information for the Main Contractor
- Information for the Architect
- Points To Consider For Typical
Materials To Be Specified To Act As
An Air Sealed Element
- Information for the Building Services Consultants
- Information for Building Control Officers & Approved Inspectors
- Information for Material, Plant & Component Suppliers
- Energy Usage
- Domestic Dwellings
- HRS Air Sealing Consultancy
- Technical Info Packs/Video Downloads
- Brochure Request/Download
- Frequently Asked Questions Related Services
signup to our newsletter
Case Studies - Air Sealing & Fire Stopping
Air Sealing Contracting - 800 retail stores for 4 major retail chains for over 10 years
Air sealing to over 800 retail stores since 1995 for 4 major retail companies, whom HRS still work for on a regular basis.
Usually the air tightness specification is 5m³/hour/m² or lower which exceeds the requirement of Part L by a good margin.
HRS have specialized in this work on both new and existing stores and HRS are proud to have forged strong working relationships with all of the companies.
For over ten years, Kiers has appointed HRS to air seal over 50 new and existing TESCO stores. The specification asked for an air leakage rate of 3m³/h/m² or 5m³/h/m². The stores could only be worked-in out of trading hours, which restricted work to Saturday and Sunday nights on the sales floor.
Kiers needed to appoint a single sub contractor to take on the following:
- Sole responsibility to comply with the air tightness specification, for a fixed price on each project
- The ability and resources to survey stores and price contracts in days.
- The experience and capability to ensure stores passed the air tightness test to a strict programme completion date
- The ability to work within a crowded, busy environment, safely and without disrupting TESCO's activities
- The ability to work on both new build and existing stores
- A fully documented quality system
Kiers has awarded the air sealing contracts for TESCO's stores over the last 5 years to HRS Services, giving HRS the sole responsibility to achieve the air tightness specification. To achieve this, HRS conducts an initial survey and provides a detailed specification of the works to be carried out, for a fixed price. HRS displays their real expertise when co-ordinating the air sealing works with other trades and packages of work and ensuring that all the sealing works are carried out right first time. At practical completion, Kiers (and TESCO) has to look only to HRS Services to achieve compliance with the specification, not potentially tens of other sub-contractors whose works fall on the air tight envelope.
HRS Services Capabilities
HRS Services has proved themselves capable of air sealing many different types and specifications of building, acting as the specialist air sealing sub-contractor with sole responsibility to meet the air tightness target. Our teams have unrivalled skills and experience in installing air seals (with or without fire protection) on all construction types. Our on-site teams have all completed various training and assessment modules, ensuring that they are fully conversant with the works to be carried out and are multi-skilled. Whether it's new build, remedial works or refurbishment projects, HRS Services has the skill, resource and experience to take control and responsibility for the air tightness works. To date, we believe that HRS Services has successfully air sealed more buildings (200+) than any other contractor in the UK.
Self contained teams tackle Fire Stopping / Protection
HRS Services ensures material specification provides correct fire rating
HRS were directly employed by Wm Morrisons to upgrade the fire stopping to over 250 existing stores over a period of 18 months; which were formerly owned by SAFEWAYs. HRS and the store refurbishment contractors co-ordinated their works to ensure each stores refurb finished on time, which was achieved on 100% of stores.
The budget for the fire stopping was comfortably reached and all works were carried out to FIRAS standards.
Contracting Work Case Study
Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC Takeover of Safeway
Wm Morrison plc Appointed HRS Services to undertake surveys of existing passive fire protection and carry out remedial works as required to all stores during the conversion works over an 18 month period.
Wm Morrison needed to appoint a single contractor to take on the following:
- Sole responsibility to undertake a survey and carry out the necessary remedial works
- The ability and resources to survey stores assess remedial works required and price contracts in days
- The experience and capability to ensure stores completed to a strict programme of completion dates; The intensity of the roll out programme required completion of 3 to 5 stores each week
- The ability to work within a crowded, busy environment, safely and without disrupting other contractors activities
- A fully documented quality system
- FIRAS Accreditation for all works
Wm Morrison Supermarkets awarded the remedial fire protection contract to existing areas for the roll out programme to HRS. By surveying the stores at an early date we were able to submit costs for budgeting purposes and to programme the on site works to enable completion prior to re-launch.
In addition by working with the main contractor on the projects we were often contracted to complete and carry out remedial works to areas affected by store alterations.
FIRAS accreditation guaranties all works.
HRS services capabilities
HRS Services has proved themselves capable of air sealing and fire stopping many different types and specifications of building, acting as the specialist sub-contractor with sole responsibility to meet the required specifications. Our teams have unrivalled skills and experience in installing air seals (with or without fire protection) on all construction types. Our on-site teams have all completed various training and assessment modules, ensuring that they are fully conversant with the works to be carried out and are multi-skilled.
Fire stopping records with photographs cross referenced to plans submitted to client for records
Whether it's new build, remedial works or refurbishment projects, HRS Services has the skill, resource and experience to take control and responsibility for the works. To date, we believe that HRS Services has successfully air sealed more buildings (500+) than any other contractor in the UK.