HRS has a specialist ecology team who can provide the full range of ecology services required for your planning application and for BREEAM/CfSH ecology assessments.
Ecological services include:
- Extended Phase 1 habitat surveys
- Protected species surveys, including bats, great crested newts and reptiles
- Ecological Assessment/Appraisals
- Ecological Impact Assessments (EcIA)
- BREEAM/CfSH ecology assessments
- Legal compliance advice and licence applications including European Protected Species mitigation licences
- Mitigation/compensation design and implementation
- Ecological enhancement, restoration and management
- Ecological Clerk of Works (ECoW)
What is an Ecological Assessment/Appraisal?
An Ecological Assessment/Appraisal is frequently required as part of the planning process prior to a development being approved. HRS have considerable experience in producing ecological assessment reports for proposed developments sites.
The HRS Ecological Assessment report includes the following:
- Ecological baseline information (comprising desk study data and the results of the Extended Phase-1 habitat survey/ecological walk-over survey)
- An assessment of the ecological value of the site
- A summary of the potential impacts (negative and positive, i.e. constraints and opportunities) of the development on the ecology of the site
- Recommendations for mitigation, compensation, enhancement and further Phase-2 ecological surveys, as appropriate
- Maps for the reports are produced in a standard computer graphics software package (see examples below)
The report also provides early warning of the potential ecological issues that need to be considered. This will help inform decision-making regarding development programmes and design.
The presence of protected species on a proposed development site can be a major constraint to a project as some development activities may need to be licensed. To avoid possible costly delays to the development works programme and alterations to design plans we recommend protected species surveys are carried out at the earliest opportunity.
It is essential that all ecological surveys are carried out by suitably qualified and experienced personnel and at the most appropriate time of year. All our ecological surveyors are skilled, experienced and members of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM). All ecological surveys follow standard methodologies.
If you have any questions with regards to the appraisal, please give HRS a call and one of our ecology team will be happy to talk it through with you.
If you need an Ecological Assessment/Appraisal report or any other Ecology or BREEAM/CfSH information, please contact HRS on 0800 030 4391 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and the appropriate member of the team would be more than happy to answer any of your questions and provide the help that you require.
Ecology Survey Timetable
Many protected species surveys are best carried out or can only be carried out at certain times of year (see our Ecological Survey Timetables below – click on tables to enlarge)
0800 030 4391
Case Studies & Gallery
Please hover over an image and click the ‘Link’ icon to view Case Study information, or Click the ‘Magnifying Glass’ icon to see a larger photo.
To see the wide range of accreditations that HRS Services hold, please visit our Accreditations page »