Project DescriptionAcoustic Design to BB93 – HRS University Technical College Case Study
Project name: Health Futures University Technical College, Sandwell
Contractor: BAM Construction
Architect: Associated Architects, Birmingham
Acoustic design of building to meet the standards of BB93
- A new-build, 4 storey University Technical College for the education of 14 – 19 year olds in healthcare and related subjects. The UTC is partnered by regional NHS Trusts and is sponsored by the University of Wolverhampton.
- The building is located on West Bromwich High Street, on a site previously occupied by Sandwell College.
- A full-mechanical ventilation strategy was implemented in most areas in order to provide suitable ventilation with closed windows – a necessity due to the proximity of traffic and high resultant external noise levels – and for noise levels to achieve BB93 requirements. As part of the acoustic environment analysis, attention was given to methods for protecting the amenity of nearby residential areas.
- The building accommodates a number of large-volume spaces, including a lecture theatre and an activity studio, for which reverberation time modelling was carried out.
- The UTC’s desire for a ‘healthcare-like’ environment required care to ensure that suitable acoustic performance was provided by the unique design of the building, including within spaces not typically found in education buildings, such as a mock medical theatre.