What is SAP?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is used to assess and compare the energy and environmental performance of dwellings.

Do I have to have a SAP Assessment?

Yes, a SAP calculation and rating has been a requirement of the Building Regulations Part L since 1995, so all new homes need to have a SAP calculation/rating. Homes which have been converted and extended also need a SAP carrying out, but slightly different rules apply. As a general rule, you do not need a SAP on an extension. All dwellings on a site need a SAP assessment.

It is recommended that the sooner you can have your SAP assessment carried out the better. SAP calculations must be submitted to building control before works start on site. Think design stage – SAP should be done.

If you need more information or if you would like a quote for a SAP, please contact HRS on 0800 030 4391 / email: or click to go to the KNOWLEDGE Hub.

Please note that the more SAPs you have done, the lower the cost.

VIDEO: SAP Webinar

What does SAP stand for?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure.

What is a SAP Calculation?

A SAP is the Government’s approved procedure for energy rating domestic dwellings.

It is the methodology used by the Department of Energy & Climate Change (DECC) to assess and compare the energy and environmental performance of dwellings. The reason for doing this is to provide accurate and reliable assessments of dwelling energy performances that are required to underpin energy and environmental policy initiatives.

SAP works by assessing how much energy a dwelling will consume and how much carbon dioxide (CO2) will be emitted in delivering a defined level of comfort and service provision, based on standardised occupancy conditions. This enables a like-for-like comparison of dwelling performance.

Properties are awarded a rating between 1 and 100. A rating of 1 represents very high running costs, whilst a score of 100 indicates zero energy cost. It is however worth knowing that dwellings can exceed 100 where they are net exporters of energy e.g. through PV electricity generation.

When is a SAP calculation required?

A SAP is required when new dwellings are constructed and existing homes are converted or extended under current Building Regulations.

When should the assessment be carried out?

The sooner the better – DER/TER calculations must be submitted to building control before work starts on site. Early involvement allows the energy efficiency of the dwelling to be considered whilst it is being designed, ensuring a cost effective solution to compliance is achieved.

An ‘As Built’ calculation will then be required at the end of the project before handover. It is important to consider the impact of any design changes made during construction. Apparent cost savings made during VE, may adversely affect the targeted rating for Building Regulations and Code assessments.

0800 030 4391

“Thank you for your help and patience getting us through this rather complex procedure.”
Cost Manager, Haden Freeman Ltd

Case Studies & Gallery

Please hover over an image and click the ‘Link’ icon to view Case Study information, or Click the ‘Magnifying Glass’ icon to see a larger photo.

Other Services from HRS

Relevant Accreditations

To see the wide range of accreditations that HRS Services hold, please visit our Accreditations page »

Need advice or a quotation give HRS a call on:
0800 030 4391 or email: